Recognizing Liability Risks at Your Church
A church is a public gathering place for those who wish to worship together. Churches are also a place with limitless risks for people to get injured, equipment to malfunction, and countless other scenarios. While not every risk can be prevented, many can be minimized by taking a few minutes to inspect certain areas of the church that you might not have otherwise considered as a liability risk. Use the following checklist to complete a thorough inspection:
- Make sure that the church premises is well maintained and in compliance with all local codes.
- Be sure that all wires are contained and cannot come in contact with any liquid.
- Be sure to properly indicate areas where a spill has occurred, ice has formed, or any other area where there is a potential for a person to slip and fall.
- Be sure the sidewalk surrounding the church is free from debris and that there are no cracks or breaks in the sidewalk for people to potentially trip over.
- All stairs around the perimeter and within the church should be equipped with handrails.
- Any equipment that is used for regular church activities at or away from the church grounds should be well maintained and regularly inspected.
- When dangerous or potentially difficult jobs present themselves, be sure to hire a trained professional.
- Check all alarms and smoke detectors monthly to be sure they are working properly, and replace the batteries as needed.
By following these suggestions, you can eliminate a number of risks completely; those risks that cannot be eliminated can be controlled, keeping the possibility of loss to a minimum. Losses are sure to occur; however, you can trust your Alfa® agent to handle any claims you might have.
When an accident or loss occurs, contact your Alfa Insurance® agent as soon as possible so he or she can begin handling your claim. Claims can be submitted online or over the phone.