It’s amazing how disgusting our cars can get. Unless you’re type-A personality about the cleanliness of your vehicle, chances are your car plays host to a surprising number of fast-food crumbs, old receipts, and dog hair galore. And that’s just the inside!
If this sounds familiar, it’s probably time to grab a bucket, some suds, and a water hose and head to the driveway for an at-home car wash. There’s something about the weather warming up that puts many in the mood to clean. Spring cleaning your house is no new concept, but don’t neglect other things that may need a refresh…like your car, for example.
Follow our five easy steps to spring clean your car, and you’ll be ready to drive to all those upcoming summer vacations!
1. Tackle the Interior – Start at the top and work your way down. Begin by dusting off the interior with a damp cloth. Vacuum the seats and don’t forget the cracks and crevices. Once you get to the floors, continue vacuuming the carpets and the mats.
2. Clean the Exterior – Using a soft towel, a safe detergent and water, give the exterior body a good cleaning. Clean out all the cracks and under the edges.
3. Scrub the Tires – Tires do a lot of dirty work. Give them some attention by taking off the hubcaps and giving them a good scrub down. While you’re cleaning the tires, it’s a good time to check the pressure and make sure they’re in good shape.
4. Shine the Windows - Clean the windows, inside and outside, with a window cleaner and microfiber fiber. Go over them with a dry towel to make them shine. Do this for your mirrors, too.
5. Pop the Hood – You’d be surprised at the amount of leaves and debris that can find their way under your hood. It’s important to clean out the engine area. Sometimes just clearing debris is enough, but you may need to look at having the engine professionally cleaned.
Now that your car is all clean, it’s probably a good idea to schedule a maintenance check with your service station to make sure your vehicle is running in tip top shape. Want to take the next step to make sure you’re taking car of your car? Call your Alfa® agent to confirm your auto insurance policy limits are still relevant to your needs. If you don’t have Alfa Insurance®, find your local agent and get a free quote today!