How to Make a Home Safety Kit
There is no such thing as being too safe, especially when it comes to your family. Making a home safety kit can come in handy if you’re in a situation where you need to evacuate the house or if you lose power for an extended amount of time. Packing these things up in easy-to-move storage bins is a good idea for convenience’s sake. Once packed up, put these boxes in a quick and easy-to-reach spot.
Below are a few things to consider adding to your home safety kit:
- Let’s start with the basics. Here’s a list of necessities that every emergency preparedness kit should have:
- A fully stocked first-aid kit
- Enough water for each person in the family for at least three days
- Non-perishable foods (beef jerky, protein bars, etc.)
- Battery-powered or hand-cranked radio (your cell phone will eventually die so having a radio will help keep you up with the news)
- Cash (it’s a good idea to start making an emergency cash box now)
- Tools such as a wrench, pliers, screwdriver, etc.
- Portable charger for cell phones (this won’t last forever but it will keep your phone charged for a little while)
Now that you have the basics, think of the extra things your family may need. This could look different for every family, but may include:
- Prescription medicines
- Non-prescription medicines
- Baby formula and supplies (diapers, wipes, pacifiers, etc.)
- Important family documents
- Pet food and supplies
- Hand warmers (if disaster strikes in the winter months and you do not have heat, you’ll be so grateful you have these)
- Blankets/extra clothing/pair of shoes for each person
- Eyeglasses and contact solution
- Feminine products/personal hygiene items
Disaster can strike at any moment, without a warning. At Alfa®, protecting you and your family is what we strive to do every day. While we can’t prevent tragedy from happening, we can help give you peace of mind. For a free quote on auto, home, life and more, call your local Alfa agent today.