Safety and Weather, Business
Know the Liability Risks at Your Church
Your church is an important part of your life, and the lives of your fellow members who come to worship. But it’s also a public gathering place with the potential for injuries, equipment hazards and other possible risks.
While you can’t prevent every risk at your church, you can minimize them by taking time to inspect areas you normally wouldn’t consider a liability. Use the following checklist to complete a thorough inspection:
Follow these suggestions and you’ll successfully eliminate many potential risks. You’ll also control several others and help keep the chances of a loss at a minimum.
- Make sure the church premises are well maintained and in compliance with all local codes.
- Zip-tie and hide all wires and make sure they can’t come in contact with any liquid.
- Check all alarms and smoke detectors monthly to be sure they’re working properly and replace the batteries as needed.
- Reduce the risk of fires from candles or flames by keeping them away from curtains, drapes and other flammable fabrics. Consider using electric candles when possible.
- If your church has a kitchen, make sure all appliances are running properly and keep instruction manuals nearby.
- Make sure all areas are well lit, especially the parking lot.
- Prominently indicate areas where there has been a spill, where ice has formed, or where there is any other risk for someone to slip and fall.
- Make sure the sidewalk surrounding the church is free from debris and there are no cracks or breaks in the pavement where people could trip.
- Make sure all stairs in the church and around the perimeter have handrails.
- Make sure all equipment used for church activities is well maintained and regularly inspected.
- Whenever there’s a dangerous or potentially difficult job to be done, don’t ask for volunteers—hire a trained professional.
Alfa Insurance® provides a specialized church policy to protect religious organizations like yours at an affordable rate. Get peace of mind knowing your church and its members are protected. Contact your local Alfa® agent today.